[tex-k] dynamically loading \patterns

A. Komornicki komornic at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 3 20:58:42 CET 2005

Karl,
You pose an interesting question.

Correct me if I am wrong, but essentially you are asking to change
Format properties without building a new Format. (??)

At the risk of sounding (less than informed) I would like to pursue your
idea of changing hyphenation patterns on the fly. My exposure to such
flexibility is to use the Babel package and rebuild the LaTeX format all
over again.

What would happen if a user were to insert the following
line in their document:

 \input  plhyph.tex

effectively changing the hyphenation pattern from the default to
in this case Polish.

Is this even possible ?  Is this correct ?  Will TeX complain ?
I have never tried it.

regards,
andrew