[tex-k] Dvips fix for font in EPSF improperly downloaded

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jan 23 15:48:18 CET 2005

    I agree a warning may be appropriate whenever a
    font is included in its entirety.

May I suggest a modification: whenever a *proprietary* font (that is,
one with the restrictive licensing) is included.

It would be quite a lot of noise to generate a warning for every
fully-included font, as most commonly-used fonts in the TeX world are
free.  Seems like any "real" warning regarding problematic fonts would
quickly be lost in the swamp of resulting messages.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of additional map file option
(ugggh) to generate the warning.  Then when people (like Walter)
generate TeX support for proprietary fonts, the pregenerated map files
can specify the new option.

Further: any changes to map file syntax should be coordinated with
pdftex and dvipdf[m][x], as another long-term goal should be to re-unify
map files so that the same syntax can be used for all programs.  It is a
hassle for TeX Live and other distributions to have maintain the same
information in three formats with only tiny differences.

Also, I'm not sure if this is already included in the discussion, but
any such warning should presumably apply when the font is fully
downloaded at all, independent of whether that happens due to an .eps
inclusion or simply using the font in the document.

    At this time he was thinking about changing /FontName
    in the free URW fonts on CTAN

I sincerely hope Walter does not do that.  Seems like it would have
major backward-compatibility implications.

karl