[tex-k] dvipsk

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Thu Jan 13 19:56:31 CET 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Karl Berry wrote:

> Yes, highly desirable.  In fact, Vladimir Volovich looked at this exact
> same issue.  It seems like all we have to do -DOmega.  So that is our
> plan for the next release.  Do you think more is needed?

Hi Karl,

I actually thought about doing exactly what was done for xdvik:

 	Completely remove all "#if(n)def Omega"'s

 	Introduce a runtime switch "-noomega" (same as in xdvi)

 	With that switch dvips behaves like the present one (except
 	that some arrays[256] are allocated dynamically), i.e.
 	rejects 2 DVI opcodes (129 and 133 or so), doesn't search
 	for ofm's and ovf's, and saves some memory.
 	The xdvik manpage gives some rationale for that.

 	Without that switch dvips is identical to the present odvipsk.

Peter