[tex-k] About spaces in file names

Jean-Marc Lasgouttes Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes at inria.fr
Tue Apr 19 17:33:42 CEST 2005

Hello,

We are in the process of porting LyX (www.lyx.org, a frontend to
LaTeX) to windows, and of course we would like to be able to typeset
files with spaces in their names. I understand that this is possible
since web2c 7.5.3, but we still have problems with LaTeX and
\includegraphics.

In this case, it appears that files are referenced in the dvi file as
    ...PSfile=""foo bar".eps" llx=...
rather than
    ..PSfile="foo bar.eps" llx=...

The extra quotes break things like xdvi, yap, dvips and need to be
removed by a post-processing script if the dvi file is to be useful.

Is this a known limitation of this spaces handling? Are there known
workarounds?

We have a page on our wiki where we tried to investigate which
characters are allowed and which are not here:
  http://wiki.lyx.org/LaTeX/FilesWithSpecialChars

On a related note, is there documentation on the status of 8bit
characters in file names?

All pointers appreciated.