[tex-k] Re: Unable to find source for `web2c/contrib/file-handling-tex'

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Sep 24 16:17:44 CEST 2004

Greetings,

    source for `web2c/contrib/file-handling-tex'

I'll attach it, I have a copy on my disk (it's probably also in old
releases, ftp://tug.org/historic).  It is ancient stuff at this point.

    What I am actually interested in are utilities to manipulate (split) dvi
    files based upon certain \special commands, for example
    \special{outfile=first.dvi} and suspect there is something similar to what
    I need in this area.

My recommendation would be to run dvitype, then write a
perl/awk/whatever script to parse the dvitype output, build the list of
pages for each desired output file, and run dviselect to split up the
DVI.  Rather than trying to do anything at the TeX level, which sounds
like a nightmare to me.

HTH,
karl