[tex-k] [axel.struebing@le-tex.de: dvips and files > 2GB]

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Nov 16 23:36:47 CET 2004

  > ----- Forwarded message from Axel Strübing

  > Is it possible to produce outputfiles greater than 2GB with dvips?
  > I have searched the web and not found a conclusive answer.  The
  > problem is, that processing an dvi-file with dvips under linux
  > (which generally can deal with larger files) results in an error
  > message, that the file size limit is exceeded and the resutling
  > file is 2GB in size.  This is due to a large number of rather big
  > eps-images included.

  > May be, i have to recompile dvips with "-DLARGEFILE" or something.
  > The OS running deals regularly with much larger files during
  > backup, so it is no matter of libc/kernel/etc.

Is this a dvips error message?

The backups are certainly done by root and you are running TeX as a
normal user.  Did you try "ulimit -a" as a normal user?  ulimit is a
built in function (in bash), so there is no manpage, you have to type
"help ulimit" (in bash, of course).

I doubt that this is the problem, but I would check this first.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25