[tex-k] -format/-progname

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Thu Jan 1 22:44:09 CET 2004

[jumping back to old mail]
> I fully agree with you that -progname directive is indeed fuzzy esp in
> combination with "other text files" (btw, just 'other' would be more

The kpathsea formats "other text files" and "other binary files" are
by definition bound to a progname (even without var.progname setting
in texmf.cnf).

For these formats, the default path is
  .:$TEXMF/<progname>//
and the envvar to overwrite this default is <progname>INPUTS.

I don't think that there is anything wrong about this. kpathsea is a
*programming* library and using its interfaces (which includes using
the kpsewhich utility) requires to read some documentation.

Thomas