[tex-k] dvips -P download35 bug

George D Watt george.watt at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Feb 9 19:32:26 CET 2004

Hello,

I am using teTeX 2.0.2 in IRIX 6.5.22 which uses dvips(k) 5.92b.

When I process the the plain TeX file t.tex:

\input epsfx
\nopagenumbers
%
\font\ss=phvr at 10pt
\centerline{\ss Bare Hull Total Pressure Coefficient}
\bigskip
\centerline{\epsfxsize=.3\hsize\eps{test.eps}}
\bye

which inputs the test.eps file:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-1.2
%%BoundingBox: 25 295 221 316
%%DocumentNeededResources: font Helvetica Symbol
%%IncludeResource: font Helvetica Symbol
/Helvetica findfont 20 scalefont setfont
  25 300 moveto (Total Pressure, ) show
/Symbol findfont 20 scalefont setfont (b ) show
/Helvetica findfont 20 scalefont setfont
  (= 20) show
showpage

and then try to embed the fonts in the ps file with:

dvips -P download35 t

I loose the Helvetica fonts in the included eps file.  This problem goes
away when:

- \ss is deleted from the first \centerline construct in t.tex,

- I do not embed the fonts: use either "dvips -P builtin35 t" or "dvips
-j0 t".

(I have psfonts.map setup to "download35" the ps fonts by default.)  But,
of course, neither of these two options gives me what I want.

Do you know of a workaround for this problem?

Regards,
George
George D. Watt, PhD                      george.watt at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Defence R&D Canada - Atlantic                     (902)426-3100 x381
PO Box 1012, Dartmouth, NS, Canada  B2Y 3Z7        FAX (902)426-9654