[tex-k] 'updmap' 2.0 and lcdf-typetools

Eddie Kohler kohler at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Aug 23 23:27:38 CEST 2004

>> (2) The new updmap is quite slow, which
>> is a bummer.  Should otftotfm run "TEXMF/dvips/updmap" if it
>> exists, and the global "updmap" otherwise?
>
> If you have fonts in local texmf trees the old version of updmap is a
> pain.  It expects all map files to be in one directory.  The new
> version supports local trees in a more teTeX-like way.  IMHO, it's
> wrong to promote the old version.

Well, newer tetex installs won't have TEXMF/dvips/updmap, so I don't
think I'm promoting the old version.  The reason I want the option to
run TEXMF/dvips/updmap is for people who write their own updmap
scripts.  I am one of those people :)

> The new version contains some code which had been introduced to
> circumvent some problems in pdfTeX.  The next version will be a bit
> faster because the problem had been fixed in pdfTeX recently and the
> workaround has to be removed from updmap to make the new features
> available.
>
> If otftotfm creates .map files on the fly, it is much better to simply
> append them to psfonts.map, pdftex.map and dvipdfm.map.

Could you explain what you mean?

> The created map files should be installed at a place where updmap
> searches for input files, otherwise they are lost if someone runs
> updmap manually.
>
> It would be nice if updmap had a --add-map option which does exactly
> that in a similar way a created pk or tfm file is appended to the ls-R
> database.

I agree.

> This is *much* faster than the old version of updmap, which shouldn't
> be used any more.
>
> Note that pdfTeX issues a warning message if the same entry appears
> more than once in pdftex.map.  To avoid this, it might be useful to
> run grep before adding something.  But grep is amazingly fast, anyway.

otftotfm already does this.

Eddie