[tex-k] 'updmap' 2.0 and lcdf-typetools

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Aug 18 18:04:37 CEST 2004

    Is there any easy way to tell whether a TDS uses the 1.1 layout or the
    1.0 layout using kpathsea?

Assuming you're talking about trying to figure out what to do in
otftotfm, I think the answer is, if the TEXMF/{enc,map} directories
exist, then use them.  If they don't, fall back to the previous behavior.

    (0) Install encodings in "TEXMF/fonts/enc/dvips/lcdftools/WHATEVER.enc"
    (1) Update or create the file
    "TEXMF/fonts/map/dvips/lcdftools/lcdftools.map"

Sounds right.

    I have two questions.

    (1) Should otftotfm also install or update map files for other
    programs?  Which ones?

The "dvips" is actually the syntax, not the program.  So assuming you're
only writing dvips-style map/enc files, then {enc,map}/dvips/lcdftools
is the right place.

If you write dvipdfm- or pdftex-style files, then they would go in
the {enc,map}/{dvipdfm,pdftex} sibling directories.

(Happily, there is some work being done to unify all these
almost-but-not-quite-the-same syntaxes, which should never have existed
separately in the first place.  We'll see ...)

    (2) The new updmap is quite slow, which is a bummer.  Should otftotfm
    run "TEXMF/dvips/updmap" if it exists, and the global "updmap"
    otherwise?

I don't know.  I didn't know there were two updmap's.  I'm confused.  Thomas?