[tex-k] Re: tetex-extra and fmtutil

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Mon Aug 16 22:31:59 CEST 2004

> frank at alhambra:~$ kpsewhich --expand-path='$TEXMFCNF'
> /usr/bin:/usr:/:/usr/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/share/texmf/web2c:/usr/share/texmf/web2c:/var/lib/texmf/web2c

The search path for .cnf files is different from anything else, because
the texmf.cnf file is searched along this path. This means that only
the compile-time path makes any sense, so to get the real path, please use
  kpsewhich -show-path=.cnf

> frank at alhambra:~$ kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf

kpathsea uses the .cnf search path here, but this is not the way that
is normally used to find the file. If you look at fmtutil, you'll find
out that the real thing is:
  kpsewhich --format='web2c files' fmtutil.cnf

> frank at alhambra:~$ kpsewhich --format cnf fmtutil.cnf

That's just as wrong as the other invocation. fmtutil.cnf should not be
searched by the rules that apply to texmf.cnf. Instead, the "web2c files"
search path is the right one.

> kpsewhich invocation? - I could imagine this, for the TeX format
> creation works flawlessly. Previously, when the file was in

Hm... In that case, you could have found out by
  bash -x fmtutil --byfmt latex

Thomas