Code repositories, was: Re: [tex-k] cm-super fails

sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 20:40:36 +0000

Stefan Ulrich writes:
 > This question might sound lame or silly, but it's a real concern
 > to me: Perforce is proprietary software, isn't it? So isn't it
 > somewhat dangerous to use it for revision control of a long-lived
 > system - what if they discontinue their product, or go out of
 > business?

Yes, Perforce is proprietary. But the data repository is RCS files. So
if Perforce died tomorrow, we'd not lose the data. Recovering the
change history could be harder, but probably not impossible. Anyway,
we have the software now, so if Perforce go out of business, we
can still use their software to dump out the history.

I see you concern, but I don't think it matters that much

 > I thought the idea was to have one central repository for it
 > all. However, it seems that the current hosting of TeXlive on
 > Perforce doesn't really address this issue ...?

if you all used Perforce, it would :-}

sebastian