[tex-k] secure mode of dvips should be default

janl@linpro.no janl@linpro.no
Sun, 03 Jun 2001 23:50:05 +0200

"Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> tastet:
> I don't think its needed. the only sensible daily use for the commands
> is decompression, better done by linking in the right libraries. The
> concept of "trusted commands" is too woolly (in my opinion)

Bah.  The key here is that the trusted commands are locally configured.
(by Thomas Esser for most definitions of local :-) Trusted code is
trusted code, be it library or external executable.

<rant>
I hate that all software is supposed to do all things.  When I think
about it I even dislike libwww inside xdvik, running wget or some such
would work.  It would very much fit the old Unix philosophy of small
tools working together.  Uncompression is very well handled by external
commands, it's even easy to enlarge the selection of supported
compression formats.
</rant>

Oh well.  If someone, Stefan it seems, codes it, and the ` code is not
removed... at least decompression will speed up.  How about bz2?

Nicolai, grumpy old man already