[tex-hyphen] Bug in Classic Latin hyphenation patterns

Doug McKenna doug at mathemaesthetics.com
Wed Dec 4 02:25:57 CET 2019

I believe I've found a bug in the classic Latin hyphenation pattern file, loaded when the LaTeX format is built.

The file in question is

./texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/hyph-la-x-classic.tex

Lines 88 and 89 in the file are

.i2a .i2e .i2i .i2o .i2u .iuu2a  .iuu2e .iuu2o% iuuamentum, iuuentus, iuuo
.iei2u .iai2u  % iacere, ieiunium, iaiunitas, Ioannes, iudaismus, iuncte, iunix,

There is a missing space that should be between the end of the ".iuu2o" pattern at the end of line 88 and the comment initiator.  Notice that all other end-of-line comments have at least one space prior to the '%' sign.

Because of this missing space, the initial period on the next line 89 is being misinterpreted as an internal period in a pattern, which is illegal.  Apparently, TeX's pattern{} command expects everything to be legal, and so the concatenated final pattern on line 88 and the first pattern on line 89 are either being ignored, or are being entered as an illegal pattern of some kind into the trie.

At least that's what I think is going on, based on an error message issued by my own TeX language interpreter (aka JSBox).  I added the space, and all became copacetic.

Doug McKenna
Mathemaesthetics, Inc.