[tex-hyphen] Text and data mining query

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at ualberta.ca
Tue Apr 10 23:37:20 CEST 2018

Dear ODO UK,

I have submitted the online form that you recommended, but I am afraid that
I was not clear enough with my query.  The form does not fit my enquiry.

In 1992, OUP shared with the UK TeX User Group <http://uk.tug.org/> the
computer file of their word-divisions, an augmented version of those
published in Robert Allen's *Minidictionary of Spelling and Word Division*
(1986 and later eds.).  The TeX Users Group used a piece of software called
Patgen to process the supplied list of divided words into a binary file
that the TeX program can use when typesetting.  This gave TeX the ability
to do British English hyphenation.  Further explanation, and a list of the
67+ languages that TeX can hyphenate, is given on this TeX Hyphenation
Patterns <https://www.tug.org/tex-hyphen/> page.  The OUP-based patterns
are those under English/ukenglish, British, UKenglish.

Today, over a quarter of a century later, the *New Oxford Spelling
Dictionary* (2014) shows that many word-division points have been
re-evaluated since the 1986 *Minidictionary*.  We at the UK TeX Users Group
are committed to maintaining TeX's position as the world's most
widely-distributed and technically superior typesetting software.  As you
are no doubt aware, TeX is, and has always been, free and Open Access.

So we are approaching you at OUP ODO to request that we repeat the exercise
of 1992, using OUP's more recent word-division lists.   Specifically, we
are requesting that you send us a file of words showing word-division
points that match current OUP usage for British (not American) English.

With many thanks,
Professor Dominik Wujastyk

​
--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
​,​

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
​,​

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
​,​
University of Alberta, Canada