[tex-hyphen] US English patterns in hyph-en-us.pat.txt are buggy

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh at google.com
Sun Jun 11 06:57:50 CEST 2017

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Barbara Beeton <bnb at ams.org> wrote:

> indeed, the original patterns do not hyphenate "democrat"
> at all.  an exception has been added to the tugboat list, which
> I expect to include in the last regular issue this year.

My testing with Plain TeX shows that the original patterns do hyphenate
"democrat" as "demo-crat". It's "democrats" that they don't hyphenate at
all.

    > I believe as a temporary solution, the US English hyphenation patterns
>     > should be restored to the Plain TeX version, and the exception list
> should
>     > get extended to include everything in
>     > .../hyphenex/ushyphex.tex
>
> (sorry I can't reproduce the exact url; it has been modified by
> the email system I'm forced to use.)

Oh, I was pointing to the full TUGboat exception list, the file that Werner
generated based on your work.

I concur with the thanks, but would like to point out that the
> file ushyphex.tex is created directly from the exception list in
> tugboat, so performing the suggested operation would have
> no useful effect.

I think there's been a misunderstanding here. My suggestion was that we
remove the patterns Gerard Kuiken had added to the original Knuth pattern
list, because they are incorrectly generated and expand the exception list
they currently have (which are the original list from Knuth) to include
everything from the TUGboat list. That's actually what I decided to do for
Android, because there didn't seem to be any reasonable alternative short
of trying to get my hands on a comprehensive English word list and trying
to regenerated the expanded patterns myself.

> a new version of the list, along with a newly
> generated of ushyphex.tex, will be posted as soon as the next
> issue of tugboat has been published.  (or, on request, a version
> containing what has already been added could be posted, with
> the "official" release posted when the tugboat list is published.
> however, I haven't time right now to proof it carefully.)

I'd be looking forward to the publication of the new list.