[tex-hyphen] US English patterns in hyph-en-us.pat.txt are buggy

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Fri Jun 9 22:49:59 CEST 2017

Roozbeh Pournader skreiv 09. juni 2017 22:16:
> Debugging an Android user report, I found that Android was hyphenating
> the words "democrat" and "democrats" incorrectly, as:
>
> de-mo-c-rat
> de-moc-rats
>
> While Merriam Webster was recommending:
>
> dem-o-crat

The New Oxford Spelling Dictionary recommends:

   demo-crat

But it also recommends

   dem|oc¦ra|tise

where | indicates a primary hyphenation point and ¦ a secondary
hyphenation point.

But I guess this makes sense, since it is consistent with the way the
words are pronounced.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer