[tex-hyphen] String preparation

Élie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri May 27 10:03:07 CEST 2016

Hi,

> we don't want to complicate the machinery any more than it is already
> is but i realized that these can be achieved rather simple by messing
> with the (new) hjcodes, so i played with that a bit last night.

Thanks a lot, that looks very promising!

> \hsize 1mm
>
> \hjcode`x=`o
>
> foobar % foo-bar
>
> fxxbar % fxx-bar
>
> \lefthyphenmin3
>
> œdipus % œdipus
>
> \hjcode`œ=1    % < 32 then it's the length and code is char code
>
> œdipus % œdi-pus

I admit I don't really understand your example, why does

   \lefthyphenmin3
   œdipus

give œdipus and not œdi-pus (which has 3 glyphs before the hyphen)?

Also, will this work with 0? For instance can we say

   \hjcode`^^^^0301=0

How does it work when it's chained? For instance, what if I want

- ǽ (U+01FD) to be in the same class as æ
- æ to have a length of 2

? Does it work with

\hjcode`ǽ=æ
\hjcode`æ=2

? Even if it doesn't, that covers many use cases so thanks!

> so, luatex 0.96 will use the hjcode mapped character in the
> hyphenation process (that was still the lc code but that can be
> considered an oversight, so in fact we already had kind of classes)
> and when a value < 32 is set, it is seen as the length to be taken
> when comparin gto the min/max values (so no characters < 32 in
> patterns which is no big deal)

Ok, let's wait for 0.96 then!

Thank you,
--