[tex-hyphen] String preparation

Élie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Thu May 26 22:28:52 CEST 2016

Le 26/05/2016 22:11, Arthur Reutenauer a écrit :
>> So for min word length, how can I do? I have to create a few more
>> languages with the same patterns but a different hyphenationmin ?
>
>   “Languages” in the TeX engine really are sets of hyphenation patterns
> together with a few settings, as you know.  That’s what I meant when I
> said that hyphenmins are only convenience values – they apply to some
> particular pattern set.  In practice, when you want to change anything
> you have to create a new “language”.

The discussion here was about something a bit more tricky: in LuaTeX,
each glyph node has a copy of righthyphenmin and lefthyphenmin which can
be changed (so it's a node property), but the value of \hyphenationmin
(the minimal total number of letter for a word to be hyphenated, a new
primitive) is not a node property, but a language property, so the lang
property of nodes must be changed in order to get it right.

For instance if I have left/righthyphenmin=2 and \hyphenationmin=4
(minimal number of letters for a word to be hyphenated is 5), I need
some additional trickery. For instance I may want to have cœ-li. In this
case what I think it's just simpler to set \hyphenationmin to 0 and set
left/right of each word by hand...

Thank you,
--
Elie