[tex-hyphen] String preparation

Élie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Wed May 25 21:34:23 CEST 2016

Le 25/05/2016 21:09, Arthur Reutenauer a écrit :
>> I think the main point is that it is not treated the same way as œ. For
>> instance with right/lefthyphenmin = 2, we have
>>
>> œ́-di-pus
>> œdi-pus
>
>   If that’s what the patterns do, they should be fixed,

To be clear : the patterns produce correct hyphenation even for
left/righthyphenmin=1, they've been tested this way.

> and \left and
> \righthyphenmin set to something more useful.  That’s what we have for
> Sanskrit, for example, where notionally TeX could break after any
> grapheme at the beginning of a word, but we can’t specify that easily,
> so \lefthyphenmin is set to 1 and there are patterns of (if I remember
> correctly) up to 5 characters to prevent graphemes to be broken up.

So let's take an example : let's say I want to consider œ as just one
unit in order to simplify the problem. What I want in the general case
is left/righthyphenmin=2, so what I want to get is

    œ́di-pus
    œdi-pus

and not

    œ́-di-pus

How can I achieve that? These cases are rare enough to be handled by
hand so I could just do something like

    .œ́8

but then the patterns wouldn't work anymore for left/righthyphenmin=1...
So that doesn't look like a good solution...

> I’m a little surprised that patterns generated by hand aren’t
> made to simply work with any values of \left and \righthyphenmins

They are. Again, let's take an example : now I want æ to be considered
as two units, so I want

    æ-ter-nam

but I still want left/righthyphenmin=2 in the general case, like

    aba-cus

and not

    a-ba-cus

How can I achieve that?

What I understand is that you're proposing to set left/righthyphenmin=1
and to add all possible patterns like

.a8b
.a8c
.a8d
.a8e
.b8a
.b8c
.b8d

all 26*(26-1) combinations, plus those at the end... Is it what you're
proposing? They make the patterns specific to left/righthyphenmin=2
again, and I'd like to avoid that...

I'm no expert in this area so sorry if I'm asking stupid questions!

Thank you,
--
Elie