[tex-hyphen] js hyphen patterns?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 19:02:20 CET 2016

Dear Élie,

On 20 March 2016 at 16:53, Élie Roux wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I wanted to build some hyphenation patterns for js (to be used in
> Hyphenator[0] and hypher[1]), in order to allow people to easily use
> (and proofread) Latin hyphenation patterns[2].
>
> The only way to have js patterns in line with the documentation[3] seems
> to be a webpage provided by Hyphenator[4]. But a ruby script[5] lies in
> tex-hyphen svn repository for what seems to be the same purpose, but
> gives an outdated format (not including the difficult values
> "patternArrayLength" and "valueStoreLength").
>
> So the question is: do you know any other way than the webpage to make
> js patterns? (a script would be much better to me, I started one on
> https://github.com/eroux/pat-to-js, but then gave up). Also, maybe it
> would be best to remove the script from the svn or mark it as outdated?

I didn't follow the development of Hyphenator for a while. I guess I
can fix the script to generate the "Hyphenator patterns" that comform
to the latest format specification (just not at this very moment). It
shouldn't be too difficult.

My initial idea was to export patterns from our repository, so that
Hyphenator would always use the latest version of hyphenation patterns
(for many different languages) and that any potential improvement to
patterns or new languages would be submitted back to our repository.
It's just that this never really happened.

> [0]: http://mnater.github.io/Hyphenator/
> [1]: https://github.com/bramstein/hypher

Thank you for this link. I wasn't aware of the hypher project (and
didn't yet figure out the difference between hypher and Hyphenator).
The licence information is a bit weird though and pretty inaccurate.

It says "The hyphenation language patterns are licensed under the LGPL
(unless otherwise noted) and copyrighted to their respective creators
and maintainers."

In case of Slovenian patterns neither author nor the licence are
correct, so I suspect there are issues with other languages as well.
But I will certainly check the details of the project.