[tex-hyphen] Names of files in OFFO

Claudio Beccari claudio.beccari at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 00:19:09 CET 2016

Barbara classic Latin is not spoken much any more, but it is being
typeset pretty much; there is a pretty intensive discussion about the
type of hyphenation to be used in the various hymn books of the Roman
Catholic Church; and monasteries of orders founded before the XIV
century generally want to use they hymn books, breviaries, adn similare
devotional books hyphenated with the classic Latin rules.

Arthur your observation is correct: "the two sets of hyphenation
patterns are characterized by the type of hyphenation they define". What
else are the hyphen pattern files; there are small variants in the
German vs. Austrian languages and possibly hyphenation; there are
differences between American/British.Australian/New Zealand languages
and possibly hyphenation.

But the language dependent settings are defined by the babel-<language>
or gloss-<language> files that select not only the spelling of some
infix words, the the different ways of typesetting the date, etc., but
also the hyphenation settings.

Even in Latin some infix words are different; Præfatio or Praefatio,
Nouember or november; so handling Latin is not that different from
handling French or German or English, or many other languages.

Claudio