[tex-hyphen] Hyphenation patterns for Belarusian

Maksim Salau maksim.salau at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 04:54:57 CEST 2016

Hi Arthur,

> > BTW, I found another variant of patterns in OpenOffice [1]
>
>   Interesting, where did you find them exactly?

Here it is http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/dict-be-official
Version 1.1
The file itself is in cp1251 and needs conversion to UTF-8
iconv -f cp1251 -t UTF-8 < ./hyph_be_BY.dic > ./hyph_be_BY.txt
+ some hand editing to put the content inside \patterns{}

>   Yes, they look much more reasonable, but I still think it could be
> worth making contact with Alex Buloichik to ask him what these
> combinations were supposed to stand for.  They didn’t just come out of
> nowhere.

According to comment on line 1414: intention to include such awkward patterns
was to prohibit hyphenation if any part that is composed solely of consonants.

> If you do, you can ask him if he would agree to change the
> licence to the MIT licence (https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT), this
> makes it easier to share the patterns across projects since the patterns
> are potentially useful to all typesetting systems, hyphenation
> libraries, and even Web browsers nowadays.

Ok, I'll ask.

>   That’s correct, but actually I would just write
>
> 	д2ж
> 	д2з
> 	.пад3
>
>   Using lower numbers to begin with makes it easier to refine later.
>
>   That being said, is пад really always a prefix?

This would make life too easy :) In some words it is a part of the root and is hyphenated differently.
E.g.: па-да-ру-нак, па-дзел, вы-па-дак, па-да-плё-ка.

>   No, 8й 8ў is perfectly valid and expresses what you want.  Or even
> 4й 4ў, for that matter -- using the even number greater or equal to any
> other number in the patterns.

Hyphenation right before й or ў is prohibited at all times, no exceptions. So 8 will be just right, I believe.
Thanks, this will make list of patterns much shorter.

Best regards,
Maksim.