[tex-hyphen] Why does "\-" not work?

Adrian Fronda Adrian at TransnationalRepublic.org
Sun Aug 21 10:17:23 CEST 2016

Dear Barbara, dear Phil,

Thank you for your e-mails.
I have added
\selectlanguage{british}
in the root file before the inclusion of all files, but it did not help. No automatic hyphenating happens and no hypenating occurs when I use «\-».

Also when I follow Phil's remark and write
\hyphenation{im-pas-sive-ly} impassively
the word «impassively» is not hyphenated as it should.

Do you have any other ideas? As I said, ideally I would prefer to use «\-» to the more cumbersome \hyphenation{} command.

Many thanks for your help so far,
Adrian