[tex-hyphen] Renaming plain pattern files in hyph-utf8: feedback?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:10:08 CEST 2016

On 12 April 2016 at 00:09, Karl Berry wrote:

>     - Every language would contain an additional folder with the name of
>     that language (patterns for English, Greek, German, Latin, Mongolian,
>     Serbian would end up in the same folder;
>
> Why?
>
>     Something like "plain"?
>
> What would its siblings be, i.e., why is that directory level needed at
> all?

See:
http://tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/
or my reply to WL.

At the moment we have "patterns/txt" for these files, but a better
name than "txt" wouldn't hurt and I'm open to suggestions which one it
should be.

We cannot move all the plain pattern files one level up. Unless we
change "patterns/txt" to "patterns-plain" (but then also change all
others like "patterns/quote", "patterns/ptex", ... to match the
pattern).

Then again we could also change "tex-8bit" (with only Coptic patterns)
to "legacy" and "ptex" could become "8bit" (the patterns are usable in
all 8-bit engines). Or the two could be merged in a single folder
(except that then we'll have one hand-written file and all the rest
auto-generated next to each other).

>     - hyph-<lang>.pat.txt -> hyph-<lang>.patterns
>     - hyph-<lang>.hyp.txt -> hyph-<lang>.exceptions
>
> I have nothing against it.  If you want to cater to double-clicking,
> hyph-<lang>-{patterns,exceptions}.txt would be another option.

I was (am still?) tempted by that ...