[tex-hyphen] hyphenation different in xelatex?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Sep 7 19:10:32 CEST 2015

Élie Roux wrote:
> Oh, so you are probably one of the few persons on Earth using the
> TeX82 engine?

Don is another.

> Let me precise my point: if you use something else than TeX
> primitives, your document has no guarantee whatsoever to compile with
> TeXLive 2115, whatever the good will of Karl and others. And even if
> you use TeX primitives, the command "tex" of TeXLive 2115 might point
> to TeX2115 which fixes a bug somewhere that might make your document
> not compile, plus it might ship en_2115 patterns for the new English
> language,

No, it will not. It will ship Knuth's patterns for US English, the
Wujastyk/Taylor patterns for British English, and /should/ ship the same
patterns for all other supported languages as it has in all previous
release.

> For me (and 99% of "TeX" users, though not for people on this list
> I'm sure) TeX is a kind of odd language with many different
> implementations and ecosystems with which you can produce PDFs.

"'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it
means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'"

(from /Through the Looking Glass/, by Lewis Carroll)

Philip Taylor