[tex-hyphen] hyphenation different in xelatex?

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Sep 4 13:13:13 CEST 2015

On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 12:22:28AM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> I think that versioned patterns, as already available, is the way to
>> go.
>
> While I'm aware of versioned patterns, there are some issues:
> - old versions get removed automatically, so users would have to keep
> them installed manually (else their documents stop working altogether,
> so it's even worse than using the default patterns)
> - default patterns (\usepackage[whateverlanguage]{babel} or
> polyglossia for that matter) can only reference a single version
> anyway

  Just to make things clear, the only part of the system that has
versions is the patterns themselves; the hyph-utf8 package only uses the
latest ones and does not even ship older ones, and neither Babel nor
Polyglossia has provisions to load different pattern versions for one
language.  It's thus more correct to say that there is no versioning
system since users only have access to the latest version of the
patterns at any one point; the patterns are only "versioned" in that
they have version numbers attached to them (which is always useful, but
a much weaker standard).

  If people really want a versioning system, it's a interesting idea and
we can of course work on that; but we need a clear request.  Babel and
Polyglossia will be part of the solution -- we're only a handful of
people working on all these packages anyway, so we can coordinate the
work -- but it's not going to happen magically.  So if anyone really
wants that *please tell us* -- and be ready to help.

	Best,

		Arthur