[tex-hyphen] hyphenation different in xelatex?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 00:22:28 CEST 2015

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> I've been trying to convince the Germans to give us green light to
>> do just that, but every time I get the answer from the "Trennmuster"
>> group that their new patterns are not yet stable enough to be used
>> in pdf(la)tex.
>
> Hmm.  Personally, I don't object to using the new patterns.  Honestly,
> I no longer can remember why there were objections at all...

I remember some of you thinking about removing larger portions of
words from the list due to some copyright/licence issues.

It is not strictly necessary, but it would be nice to get some
official statement from Dante or some other authoritative source
saying that the patterns should now really be replaced, and then maybe
write a short technical note to Technische Komödie. (Or an article.)

If nothing else it would be nice to have a pointer to answer questions
like "If I compile my document with TL 2015, the output is
Quell-co-de, but if I compile the same document with TL 2016, I get
Quell-code. Can someone please explain me what happened?"

>> The very initial goal of the pattern conversion was to keep things
>> working as they used to before the conversion just in case anyone
>> would complain that the conversion broke their documents.  But
>> patterns in other languages keep changing as well.
>
> I think that versioned patterns, as already available, is the way to
> go.

While I'm aware of versioned patterns, there are some issues:
- old versions get removed automatically, so users would have to keep
them installed manually (else their documents stop working altogether,
so it's even worse than using the default patterns)
- default patterns (\usepackage[whateverlanguage]{babel} or
polyglossia for that matter) can only reference a single version
anyway