[tex-hyphen] License of hyphenation patterns

Xiangye Xiao (肖湘晔) xiangye at google.com
Tue Dec 15 02:25:15 CET 2015

Sascha, please chime in if I give wrong answers.

Thanks for your all interest and questions! I am growing knowledge on open
source licenses in the process of communicating with authors. I probably
didn't make clear communication at the beginning. Sorry for the confusion.
Let me try to clarify.

*First is about our use cases.* We want to use the data in Android. We
already shipped US English, Hungarian, Armenian, Norwegian etc, and we want
to support as many languages as possible. This is where the hyphenation
pattern data end up at:
https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/hyphenation-patterns/+/master

We thought about committing the data in Unicode CLDR and then pull the data
from CLDR to AOSP. It may or may not work. We are not sure yet. We think it
is potentially good because Unicode has engagement with
contributors/developers of many language data. However, Unicode license is
not a requirement or a goal for us. Our goal is to use the data in Android
(may be other products in the future too)

*Second is about the licenses.* Our open source team told me
MIT/BSD/Apache/Unicode licenses are acceptable licenses for our use cases.
LGPL v2 is also okay since the patterns are loaded at run time (i.e.,
dynamic linked) and we refer to original sources for the hyphenation
patterns in AOSP. These licenses can be conflicting in some areas. Picking
whatever licenses among this group is okay for us.

I am still trying to arrange a *video conference or phone* meeting with the
open source license guy. It is close to holidays, so can be a bit hard.