[tex-hyphen] License of hyphenation patterns

Xiangye Xiao (肖湘晔) xiangye at google.com
Thu Dec 10 20:18:49 CET 2015

Dear Miss Mojca and other active contributors to tug hyphenation data,

I found hyphenation patterns of many languages in tug.org (link
<http://tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/txt/>)
and are interested in using the data. However, licenses of many pattern
files do not work for us. As such, I reached out to many authors regarding
changing licenses in the last few days. I got good and bad responses. Some
authors gave immediate responses, while some emails are unreachable at all.

After reminded by Author and Claudio (cc'ed here), I realize reaching out
tug hyphenation mailing list can be more efficient to get connected with
authors. Could you/TUG help coordinate with authors to change license of
hyphenation pattern files so that we can use the data? MIT/BSD/Apache
licenses are acceptable to us, while LPPL/GPL/LGPL v3 are not acceptable.
Unicode license also works for us but it requires to make Unicode joint
copyright owner.

I am not good at the open source licenses, but as far as I know
MIT/BSD/Apache are liberal and won't affect LaTeX/TeX to use the data. I
probably can arrange a meeting with an open source license expert on our
team to answer potential questions if needed.

Please let me know if you are interested in collaborating with us and if
you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks!
Xiangye