[tex-hyphen] synonyms for language identifiers (for Arthur Reutenauer)

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Mon Aug 10 20:12:53 CEST 2015

On 08/10/2015 06:51 PM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
> 	Hi Pablo,
>
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 12:03:39AM +0200, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> I would like to ask you whether it would be possible to implement a
>> basic feature in polyglossia.
>
>   For requests relating specifically to Polyglossia it's best to create
> an "issue" at https://github.com/reutenauer/polyglossia/issues/new --
> the list of issues is also public and anyone can contribute to the
> discussion (not that many do, but that's another problem).

Hi Arthur,

sorry, I didn’t know there was a GitHub repository for polyglossia.

>> In short, would it be possible to implement language synonyms in
>> polyglossia following the ISO 639 conventions.
>
>   As I explained in my other email sent one hour ago, ISO 639 is
> actually far from enough to tag in a useful way the languages TeX
> distributions support on some level (you cannot identify "British
> English" with it, for example); BCP 47 is a much better choice, and in
> fact the only sensible choice, to the best of my knowledge.

Totally my fault: I thought "en-GB" was ISO 639 (instead of BCP 47).

>> This feature would be extremely useful for pandoc. Otherwise it is
>> really problematic to set the document main language to UK English.
>
>   I don't really understand that: you only need to use
> \setmainlanguage[variant=british]{english} instead of
> \setmainlanguage{english}.  Is that too hard to set up in pandoc?

It would be easier to set up \setmainlanguage{en-GB} ;-). I’m not a
programer, so the same variable could be passed without conversion.

I will open an issue in polyglossia.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--