[tex-hyphen] German hyphenation of "Methode"

Élie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sun Apr 12 22:04:27 CEST 2015

> - the whole idea behind luatex is that one can extend the core with own
> code, and the following function (simple version) demonstrates how to do
> it (plug it in after the hyphenation stage, I only tested it in context
> and it works ok but of course one can extend it with more clever
> features; for context users: if this is really needed i can add similar
> code someplace)
>
>     local glyph = node.id("glyph")
>     [...]
>     end

Thanks! I'll make a small package out of it so that Babel, polyglossia,
etc. can benefit from this! I think this will already be a big step
further, I don't have the feeling anything more complex is already
precisely conceptualized yet to ask for other new features...

> - so, instead of extending the core engine, one should plug in code like
> this; how and what depends on the macro package (which is another reason
> for not hardcoding dozens of hyphenation strategies, parbuilder, and
> whatever); the core is the traditional tex engine which also serves as
> reference; a nice aspect is that writing such a function takes a
> fraction of the time to extend the engine

Sure

> - i can come up with some other hyphenation demands (read: users and
> publishers do) but would never burden the core of luatex with it which
> is why in context much is delegated to lua (of course, when some
> specific access to internals is needed to achieve goals, then that will
> be considered by the team)

Thank you very much!

> (fwiw, later this year, after the tl code freeze some more hyphenation
> related code will show up in context)

Great! What kind of features are going to appear? Is it related to
weighted hyphenation? Also, I know this must not be funny for you, but
if it can be useable in Plain with just a small wrapper (like the
fontloader is), this would be a huge help!

Thank you very much,
--
Elie