[tex-hyphen] German hyphenation of "Methode"

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Thu Apr 9 22:48:13 CEST 2015

On 04/09/2015 09:57 PM, Philip Taylor wrote:
> Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>>
>> I would say \totalhyphenmin may solve the issue, but I’m not totally
>> sure whether there are some exceptions in Spanish that cannot be solved
>> with \totalhyphenmin.
>
> OK, so if we can try to identify the potential problems :  would I be
> correct in thinking that in Spanish /most/ four-letter words should not
> be hyphenated, but some may be,

I would be pretty confident in disabling hyphenation for /all/
four-letter words.

> and therefore a \(total)hyphenmin = 5, even with an explicit list of
> exceptions, would not solve the problemsince on encountering /any/
> word of fewer than \(total)hyphenmin letters TeX would not attempt to
> hyphenate it, and therefore would not consult the list of exceptions ?

In Spanish, a word of fewer than \totalhyphenmin letters (I would say)
shouldn’t be hyphenated.

What contains the list of exceptions: words with more than
\totalhyphenmin letters which contain hyphenations that should be avoided?

This is the real issue here. I see that in German (as Werner explained).
And I’m not sure the same cannot happen in Spanish.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk