[tex-hyphen] German hyphenation of "Methode"

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Thu Apr 9 20:44:08 CEST 2015

On 04/07/2015 04:50 PM, Élie Roux wrote:
>> In Spanish, I don’t want to hyphenate either four--letter words like
>> "co-mo". But I want to be able to hyphenate "co-mi-da". And I must have
>> both or none.
>
> Sorry to come back to this after a quite random time, but if I
> understand correctly, your problem can be solved by:
>
>  * listing all 4-letter words that would be hyphenated as exceptions
>  * having a \totalhyphenmin primitive that would set the minimal total
> characters of an hyphenated word
>
> Is the first solution reasonable? If not, I think it might be worth
> asking for \totalhyphenmin in engines under development (LuaTeX, XeTeX),
> what do you think? LibreOffice has an option for it, and it seems
> reasonable, so I can't see why it would be refused. If you think it
> might help, I can report the request.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Élie.

After the reply from Werner, I don’t know whether a \totalhyphenmin
would be useful in Spanish.

I’m afraid that the first option (a list of 4-letter words that could be
hyphenated in Spanish) doesn’t solve the issue. I’d say it is the cause,
because both \lefthyphenmin and \righthyphenmin set to 2 hyphenates
4-letter words. In general, I think that hyphenation of 4-letter words
should be avoided (or at least, in Spanish).

Werner has suggested a more elaborate approach, but I must confess I
didn’t have the time to review the project he suggested.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk