[tex-hyphen] Help with UTF-8 Language

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Oct 9 20:38:06 CEST 2014

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> I think XeTeX doesn't offer this level of manipulation.  However, I
> don't know how much it has inherited from Omega.

Nor I. Let's hope Jonathan or another well-informed person can clarify
this point.

> `opatgen' should be able to do that.  Unfortunately, it's not
> maintained, and its C++ code is not compilable with today's
> compilers. I guess that an experienced C++ programmer can fix this
> rather easily. As usual, we need to find such a person who has time
> and interest to do this...

So all of the work that the UTF-8 TeX hyphenation group (Mojca, Arthur,
...) have done so far is therefore presumably only for languages/writing
systems with fewer than 243 distinct characters; I had not realised that.

** Phil.