[tex-hyphen] Bls: Problem With Hyphenation for Bahasa Indonesia

Masrosid Dua masrosid at ymail.com
Sun May 25 17:15:43 CEST 2014

Thank you for the answer.

Honestly I don't know(in person) who have made the modification. So I can't explain regarding the removal of author in modified version nor the translation of comments. Yes, it is in Bahasa Indonesia.

Honestly I don't know about the hyphenation rule in OpenOffice or LibreOffice, because I have never used this kind of thing in word processor. And I didn't event know about a feature like this. I know this hyphenation-thing after I knew LaTeX.

As for example of properly hyphenated words to tex-hyphen, I can't provide right now, since I am in internet cafe, while the document is on my PC in my house. But if it is important, maybe this document should be useful.
http://iwayan.info/LaTeX/TEMPLATE_PI_Skirpsi_Tesis_Desertasi_2011/Penulisan%20Skripsi/MainTemplateSkripsi.pdf

The document above is Bachelor Theses (am I right?how do you say it in english?) of the one who made the modification of the pattern rule. Unfortunately that is in Bahasa Indonesia too.
On page 33 on the document there is a table displaying the differences between before and after modification.

On my document I made, here are examples of words that is not properly hyphenated: memerlukan ==> memerluk-an, skripsi ==> skr-psi, and some other words ended with -kan. Those are the result of using the original hyph-id.tex

While using the modified version the result is: memerlukan ==> memerlu-kan, skripsi ==> skrp-si.

I think that is enough for now. Thank you.

Pada Sabtu, 24 Mei 2014 20:42, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> menulis:

Hello,

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Masrosid Dua wrote:
> Hi all, I'm posting this message to this list because I think this is the
> right place to ask.

Yes, you are at the right place.

> I am writing a document using LaTeX and using babel package with option for
> Bahasa Indonesia. I found there were some error regarding
> hyphenation. So I decided to search on google and found a different version
> of hyphenation pattern here
> http://iwayan.info/LaTeX/TEMPLATE_PI_Skirpsi_Tesis_Desertasi_2011/Penulisan%20Skripsi/indohyph.tex

Thanks a lot for pointing this out.

> I found that version has some modification over the original file in the
> distribution (I use texlive 2013).
> After doing some research how to install it into my texlive, finally I can
> install and use it.
> And in fact, it is better. The problem is solved.
>
> But, the question is that, I think when I update the whole system from CTAN,
> that would be broken again,
> because it will download the former pattern.

Yes, most probably that's true.

> So, why isn't there any update on the original?

The main reason is because neither the problems nor the existence of
better/newer/different patterns have ever been pointed out.

> how about replace the the
> original version with later version such that
> others can make use of it?

I won't "simply replace it", for the following reasons at least:
- The file is clearly a derivative work, but it doesn't say so. Worse
yet, the author of that new file just removed the original authors
which is certainly not allowed.
- All the comments have been translated from English to another
language (probably Bahasa Indonesia?). It would be preferable to keep
the comments in English.

> Can someone explain to me how to update that pattern file?

If you are asking about your local installation only:

Put indohyph.tex to texmf-local/tex/generic/, copy loadhyph-id.tex to
texmf-local/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/loadhyph and replace the line
"hyph-id.tex" with "indohyph.tex" in that file.

If you are asking about the proper procedure:

We should first try to contact the original authors (I CC-ed them) and
ask them to review the changes. I would then put revised patterns to
our repository, submit them to CTAN and the patterns would then
semi-automatically appear in TeX Live 2014 a day or two after that.

In case that the authors wouldn't reply, we would go for plan B, but
getting an official statement from them would be by far the best
option, so let's first wait for their answer.

Independent of everything else please send us a couple of properly
hyphenated words to tex-hyphen, (optionally together with the wrong
results that you get with the old patterns).

Which patterns are used in OpenOffice/LibreOffice?