[tex-hyphen] Add a new language support (+hyphenation)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 19:36:11 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM, Krzysztof Borowczyk wrote:
> Dnia 2014-06-12, czw o godzinie 08:34 +0200, Mojca Miklavec pisze:
>> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:39 AM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>> >
>> > Krzysztof and Arthur, is it possible to prevent people from
>> > re-inventing the wheel again?  I.e., push the patters to CTAN?
>>
>> Don't you think that the author developing patterns should at least be
>> able to test the patterns before uploading them? ;)
>>
>> But anyway, once patterns for a new language are of sufficient quality
>> to publish them and if the author would at some point like to see them
>> in TeX Live, the suggested way to achieve that is to send them to us,
>> not to CTAN.
>
> Publishing of my hyphenation patterns would be an option, but first I
> need to get them working ;)

Exactly my point ;)

I hate to reply to the thread called "tex hyphen digest", so I will
reply here about the rest.

> One thing I found in the error logs is the problem with QX
> patterns/conversions:

You cannot use the qx font encoding with Pali patterns. To be honest,
I don't think that you can use any existing 8-bit encoding with your
patterns, but I didn't really check the requirements that you have
(that is: I don't know what non-ascii letters you use and I didn't
compare the coverage with existing patterns).

I would suggest you to use any Unicode-only loader as a template (for
example Hindi, loadhyph-hi.tex) as opposed to the Polish one. And then
test your patterns in XeTeX or XeLaTeX. We could also help you with
LuaTeX/LuaLaTeX.

(But you could also use some other tools for testing the patterns. I
have some scripts in ConTeXt, one could use Hyphenator.js, other
people use Perl or one of other zillion options. It's just that no
"tool" is really obvious to set-up, but more like a home-cooked script
that worked for that specific purpose.)