[tex-hyphen] New language classiclatin – question about the language code

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 15:43:24 CEST 2014

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> May be it is time to use IETF language tags:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IETF_language_tag#Syntax_of_language_tags
>
>   We've done that from day one.  But as Mojca remarked, there is no
> subtag for Classical Latin in the registry (and in fact no subtag for
> Latin at all).
>
>   Mojca, in the mean time, using the one allocated by the Linguist list
> (according to you, I didn't check) seems acceptable.  We can be overly
> formal and use "la-x-cla" to emphasise that it's a private tag, but it
> doesn't seem necessary.

OK, so we could use a private tag in the meantime, but what about
"after the meantime is over"? ;)

Should we request new official language tags and if so: which ones?

Claudio, would it be possible to contact the same "classicits" that
complained to you about wrong patterns what additional language tags
would be needed?

Apart from the official tag which users never see anyway we also need
to decide about the name in TeX/LaTeX and babel/polyglossia should
support that name. The author's suggestion was to use "classiclatin",
but it could also be "latin" and "modernlatin" in principle ;).