[tex-hyphen] hyphenation with ligatures in input

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Wed Jan 15 20:04:16 CET 2014

> But nancial isn't hyphenated independently.

  Actually it is, since fi doesn't appear in any pattern.  Hence
"financial" is hyphenated exactly the same way as "Xnancial" would, in
both British English and American English (or any other language for
which we have patterns, for that matter).

>                                              Then the fi-n hyphenation in
> my other example
>
> \lefthyphenmin=1
> \showhyphens{financial financial}
> \bye
>
> wouldn't appear.

  In American English "Xnancial" is hyphenated as "X-nan-cial".  In
British English it's hyphenated as "Xn-an-cial".  Hence "fi-nan-cial" and
"fin-an-cial", respectively.

>                   So, is LuaTeX doing indeed some kind of normalization
> (fi => fi) before hyphenation?

  No.

	Arthur