[tex-hyphen] How to output a character whose catcode is active?

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Mar 1 17:20:18 CET 2013

> To Arthur: if it was completely impossible to do it, then
> inputenc/fontenc packages would have no chance to work at all, so
> there must be a solution,

  I don’t agree with that reasoning: inputenc and fontenc are two
separate steps, while here you’re trying to use ^^e1 both as an active
character and as a letter within the same file, indeed within the very
same macro.  I also feel somehow that it should be theoretically
possible, however; but see the solution I suggested.

	Arthur