[tex-hyphen] multiple patterns files

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jul 30 23:02:04 CEST 2013

On 2013-07-30 at 16:53:53 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

 > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 > > On 2013-07-29 at 14:52:46 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
 > >
 > >  > (Sorry for the totally off-topic reply)
 > >  >
 > >  > On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
 > >
 > >  > > What is this 8-bit of which you speak?  I have heard tell of
 > >  > > such, in the ancient tales.

 > > Since we have LuaTeX and XeTeX I don't see any reason to care
 > > about 8-bit engines any more.
 > >
 > > Mojca, Unicode is the future.  Don't look backwards, at least if
 > > compatibility with existing stuff isn't required.
 >
 > Ok, it hurts me a lot to add support for 8-bit Thai and Georgian
 > and I could have insisted more not to add these.
 >
 > But do you suggest dropping all hyphenation patterns for 8-bit
 > engines?

I don't suggest to drop anything.  That would break existing
documents.  And if there are fonts for Thai and Georgian which can be
used with 8-bit engines, I'm sure that people enjoy the hyphenation
patterns.  But if the same patterns are available in UTF-8 already and
the same fonts can be used with the new engines, you have to decide
yourself whether it's worth the effort.

What definitely doesn't make sense is to derive Type 1 fonts from OTF,
provide zillions of TeX support files, just in the belief that one can
do the same with 8-bit engines what can be done with the new ones.

At least I don't advertise the old engines anymore.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25