[tex-hyphen] multiple patterns files

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 16:53:53 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2013-07-29 at 14:52:46 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>  > (Sorry for the totally off-topic reply)
>  >
>  > On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
>
>  > > What is this 8-bit of which you speak?  I have heard tell of
>  > > such, in the ancient tales.
>
>  > We had optic fibers installed at our home today. The machine which was
>  > used to do the measurements stored the data to a 3.5" floppy drive. I
>  > was amazed, but apparently this machinery was used by the army years
>  > ago and does the job a lot better than the latest and a lot more
>  > expensive equipment.
>
> But a floppy is much less reliable than a USB stick in the long term.

Possibly. But this doesn't mean that Zastava 750 with USB radio is
more reliable than an old high class BMW that can only read magnetic
tapes in the radio.

> Since we have LuaTeX and
> XeTeX I don't see any reason to care about 8-bit engines any more.
>
> Mojca, Unicode is the future.  Don't look backwards, at least if
> compatibility with existing stuff isn't required.

Ok, it hurts me a lot to add support for 8-bit Thai and Georgian and I
could have insisted more not to add these.

But do you suggest dropping all hyphenation patterns for 8-bit engines?