[tex-hyphen] multiple patterns files

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jul 27 00:33:55 CEST 2013

Hi Javier,

    is for Serbian in Unicode engines,

Why?

    but it could be useful in other contexts).

Where?

    language:EU1 loadhyph-lg1.tex,loadhyph-lg2.tex

Wouldn't it be simpler to make a trivial loadhyph-lg.tex that reads lg1
and lg2 than to extend the syntax of (= "complicate" :) such a
fundamental file as language.dat?  Not to be a pain, and I don't have
any specific arguments against it, but just in general, it seems fraught
with peril.

As a practical matter ... in TeX Live (and no doubt MiKTeX too),
language.dat is generated based on the installed packages.  That means
this kind of change would have to trickle down into a lot of places --
the syntax of TL's *.tlpsrc files, tlmgr, the hyph-utf8 generation
scripts, etc. ...  Can it be done?  In principle, sure.  But is it the
most effective place to spend time?  I have to be doubtful.

Conservatively yours (not in politics :),
Karl