[tex-hyphen] babel 3.9 beta

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:01:38 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Javier Bezos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A beta version of babel 3.9 is now available. For further info see:
>
> http://www.tex-tipografia.com/babel_news.html

Great news! Thank you very much.

> The behaviour of hyphen.cfg remains essentially unchanged (except
> for the introduction of a few hooks). I wished to have worked on
> this area, but after 9 months of work I decided to leave it for a
> future release and after some discussion here on the path to follow.

The code has been written by Manuel, Khaled and Élie, the relevant
files being mostly the following:
    source/luatex/hyph-utf8/luatex-hyphen.dtx
    tex/luatex/hyph-utf8/hyphen.cfg
    doc/luatex/hyph-utf8/luatex-hyphen.pdf
I find it a bit suboptimal to have a literal copy of hyphen.cfg in
hyph-utf8 only to patch a few lines of code, but that was the best
thing to do at the time when there was no active maintainer of Babel
available.

I would be more than happy if you would be willing to change Babel in
such a way that almost none of what's currently in hyphen.cfg would
need to stay in hyph-utf8. At least the duplication of code should be
gone.

If you would want to include the changes into TeX Live 2013, it's
probably best to hurry up with discussion and the fixes, in order to
leave enough time for testing. But on the other hand there is no need
to force inclusion into TL 2013 if you run out of time. In that case
there would be more time for brainstorming and coming up with possibly
superior solution.