[tex-hyphen] new Catalan hyphenation patterns

Jaume Ortolà i Font jaumeortola at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 11:56:30 CET 2013

2013/2/22 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com>

> For the dash: I didn't understand the usage of these (and some other)
> patterns:
>
> u1ir- qu4ir- gu4ir- u1int- qu4int- gu4int-
> e1ir- e1int- a1ir- a1int- o1ir- o1int-
>
> In TeX, the dash is generally not considered a letter and is treated
> as a word separator. As soon as dash is introduced into patterns, it
> might need slightly different, but in any case a complete handling to
> account for cases like "C-vitamin", "γ-ray", ... and other compound
> words (two words separated by a dash). It can quickly happen that you
> would end up hyphenating something like "C-v<hyphenation>itamin" (or,
> an artificial example: "C-e<hyphenation>mulatió" if "emulatió" meant a
> vitamin - I know it doesn't, but without speaking the language I
> cannot come up with some realistic examples). This kind of breaking is
> probably not desirable.

I can't imagine any word in Catalan that generates such kind of problems.
Anyway, If the hyphen is not considered a letter, then all patterns
containing hyphens can be safely removed.

The use of this pattern ( u1ir- ) was to assure (in LibreOffice and
InDesign) that "contribuir-hi" (this hyphen appears actually in writting)
was hyphenated "con_tri_bu_ir_hi" and not "con_tri_buir_hi". If the hyphen
is a word separator, then the already existing pattern ( u1ir. ), should be
enough.

By the way, I'm a bit confused by your use of the word "dash". I use
dash[1] and hyphen[2] as explained in these Wikipedia links. With these
senses, we are talking of hyphens, not dashes. In Catalan we can find
hyphens inside a word or between words in real writting. Anyway, a hyphen
between two letters (without any whitespace) is always a hyphenation point.

Regards,
Jaume Ortolà

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen