[tex-hyphen] Using UTF-8 Word Lists to Create Hyphenation Pattern Files

Steven Dickson DicksonSK at ldschurch.org
Tue May 22 23:57:15 CEST 2012

Hello,

I work for a religious organization that produces publications in several languages spoken by our members throughout the world.  Over the years, we have developed UTF-8 encoded hyphenated word lists for 91 different languages.  We use these word lists to create proprietary hyphenation software.  We would like to use these lists to create hyphenation pattern files that can be used with more traditional software such as TeX and OpenOffice applications.

It appears that hyphenation pattern files are being created by patgen using tokenized word lists then converting the final output to UTF-8.  Unfortunately, we are dealing with some complex languages that will exceed the 256 character limit of patgen.

Like others, I have unsuccessfully tried to build opatgen with the current version of gcc.   Trying to find gcc version 2.96 in hopes that it will work doesn't make sense, especially when there are reports that opatgen has some serious reliability and performance issues.  I applaud David Antos for his research and development of opatgen and find it fascinating that his work has not been adopted and enhanced by the open source community.

Is using patgen with tokenized word lists and converting the output to UTF-8 really the only viable way to create pattern files?

Steve Dickson
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Publishing Services Department
50 East North Temple Street
Salt Lake City, Utah  84150
Email: DicksonSK at ldschurch.org<mailto:DicksonSK at ldschurch.org>