[tex-hyphen] Improving hyphenation support for compounds

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Mon Feb 6 19:43:19 CET 2012

> I have the details not ready (I can look them up, if you don't know
> them already), but at the EuroTeX conference in Arnhem 1995 there
> was a talk about hyphenation patterns for compounds generated with
> patgen (using a correctly hyphenated list of compound words as
> input).  The author claimed good success for finding correct
> Haupttrennstellen (of course, some words linke german Staubecken or
> Wachstube are unhyphenatable with this approach).

People interested in this topic might subscribe to the `trennmuster'
liste on dante also:

This is a German list discussing mainly issues related to the German
word list repository, containing normal and compound hyphenation
points:

  http://repo.or.cz/w/wortliste.git

However, English contributions or questions are welcomed also!

> P.S. Another (very different) approach was the Austrian SiSiSi
> project, still to be found somewhere on CTAN (in the form of
> documented change files to TeX.web!!!)

Indeed.  The main question is whether SiSiSi is flexible enough to
handle other languages like Hungarian (which seems to be even more
complicated w.r.t. hyphenation).

    Werner