[tex-hyphen] use of middle dot as a separator

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Wed Dec 19 20:42:13 CET 2012

> I am actually in favour of using a character which is in the ASCII
> range and is on everyone's keyboard such as ^ because it is easy to
> type and cannot be confused with anything else.

Well, a simple search-and-replace operation can change that, so it's
really not important what you *type* but what you *see* as soon as the
document gets stored.

> We are talking about the lowest level of uncategorised hyphenation
> so it well may be a character that stands out so it can be replaced
> quickly with more useful hyphenation.

For our German wordlist we did a lot of experimentation, and the
middle dot serves our purposes quite well.  I certainly don't want to
see a caret instead.

    Werner