[tex-hyphen] wrong hyphenation of friendly?

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sun Apr 29 12:43:24 CEST 2012

Hi there,

I have noticed that TeX doesn't hyphenate friendly, although
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/friendly shows it as
friend-ly. I guess this might be an exception (or I didn't get the
information from the page).

I'm not a native speaker and I don't know how the hyphenation rules are
formed. After searching in Wikipedia, it seems that hyphenation rules
are different from syllabification. It also seems that hyphenation rules
aren't even related to word pronunciation (if I don't get it wrong,
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/record hyphenates in three
different forms as verb, noun or adjective).

No pun intended, but is there a rule to the rules? (Sorry, but it
strikes me that a word such as Apollodorus isn't hyphenated
Apol-lo-do-rus [last hyphen is my guess].)

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk