[tex-hyphen] tl2011-pretest: loadhyph-sr-cyrl.tex still not activated by default?

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Wed Jun 1 14:25:17 CEST 2011

Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote
  in <BANLkTinU+0+CMNJmjMLxrpM7Qiu7QX_6+Q at mail.gmail.com>
  on Wed, 1 Jun 2011 12:43:49 +0200:

> Dear Nikola,
>
> Do you want to suggest that Serbian should load both latin+cyrillic
> patterns in XeTeX & LuaTeX and just latin patterns in pdfTeX? Or do
> you want to suggest that Cyrillic should be the default?

Hi Mojca,

I understood that conclusion was reached to load both patterns by
default in Unicode-aware engines. Anyway, IMHO loading both is the most
convenient for end users. These patterns are disjunct. I've been using
them in that way for many years.

(I think that Karl and Arthur made a decision on how to do this.)

As for pdftex, see below.

> (I know at least that there is no default script in Serbian language
> and people have hard time deciding which one to use. My roommate, a
> Physicist, said she started hating Cyrillic for she had to switch the
> keyboard for every formula she wanted to write :)

I'm sorry to hear that. You might want to teach her some Xe(La)TeX and
TECkit. With appropriate .map file (which translates Latin to Cyrillic
in, for example, old yuscii way) you can type everything in using US
keyboard. XeLaTeX will translate the text to cyrillic and leave formulas
as is.

> In pdfTeX we cannot load both or at least it would break hyphenation
> of many words in bad & unexpected ways.

I know. I'd slightly prefer to have Cyrillic as default; I just don't
know what kind of arguments apply here. If babel is the most relevant
factor for pdftex (and for XeTeX/LuaTeX it isn't), let's decide
according to the state of Serbian language in babel.

If it's relevant what's going on in the real world (what is real
default script in Serbia, de facto and de jure) then... etc.

> We decided to use Latin because serbian.ldf uses Latin labels. Is
> there already babel support for Cyrillic Serbian?

Yes, it's possible to use babel with Serbian Cyrillic, at least with
XeTeX. This is excerpt from one old file of mine (2007), don't know it
it's relevant nowadays:

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage[serbian,greek,english]{babel}
\def\cyrillicencoding{EU1}
\let\greektext\relax

along with adding 'serbian xu-srhyphc.tex' to language.dat.

> In both Babel and Polyglossia you somehow need to decide whether you
> will use Latin or Cyrillic labels for tables & figures anyway.

I usually have texts with both scripts. It's more important that how
tables and figures are labeled (I always change these titles by hand
btw).

To sum up: I strongly suggest loading both patterns for XeTeX/LuaTeX.

Best,
--
Nikola Lečić = Никола Лечић
fingerprint : FEF3 66AF C90E EDC3 D878  7CDC 956D F4AB A377 1C9B